We were called by NJSP for a van and trailer "involved in an accident" that needed a tow. On scene, I found a very heavily loaded electrician van pulling an equally heavy trailer that took out 3 poles. The last pole broke in 3 pieces, with one coming to rest on top of the van and another piece lodged under the van. After calling for back up, I did my walk around and started unhooking the trailer. The company had another truck and trailer on scene and wanted to unload both units, so they did this as I was waiting for beds and doing the clean up.
Once they were done unloading, we started the recovery. We used the bed to slide the van away from the trailer, which was a bear because of the pole still lodged underneath. Once it was a foot away, I hooked my truck to the pole to attempt to slide it out from under the truck. I succeed in winching the entire van back on the roadway by the pole. With the van on the road, I had enough clearance from the low wires to lift the rear of the truck to remove the pole and attempt to straighten out the rear, which was twisted almost 90 degrees.
With the van free of the pole, we finished loading it on the bed and removed it from the scene. We then set about loading the trailer, which needed to be winched past the low wires before we loaded it on the bed. Both axles being twisted and jammed into the fender didn't help matters, but we got it loaded pretty quickly all things considered. Once both units were loaded, we secured all loose debris and cleared the scene. Luckily for us the company had plenty of help to clean up, as when the van impacted the first pole it ripped open all the boxes on the passenger side, which spilled wire across 3 telephone pole lengths of yard.
Back at our yard we started unloading the units, which was made difficult thanks to all 4 axles of both being twisted. To unload the trailer, we ended up lifting it off with our medium duty.